Laptop721 is supported by readers like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
You might have heard law enforcement or your insurance company encouraging you to record your IMEI number. However, it might get tough to find the IMEI number on iPhone if it’s locked.
In this guide, we’ll tell:
- How to find IMEI on iPhone/iPad?
- What is an IMEI number on iPhone?
- What is the difference between bad and clean IMEI?
- 6 Quickest Ways to Get IMEI Number on iPhone or iPad if Locked
- What is the IMEI number on iPhone?
- Bad IMEI vs. Clean IMEI – What’s the Difference?
- What is IMEI Used For?
- FAQs About IMEI Locked iPhone
6 Quickest Ways to Get IMEI Number on iPhone or iPad if Locked
If your iPhone or iPad is not locked, you can go to Settings > General > About to find the IMEI number. However, things are different in case it is locked.
Well, there are 6 ways to get the IMEI number on a locked iPhone/iPad.
- By Using the Official Box
If your iPhone or iPad is locked, but you need the IMEI, use the official box of your device.
Here’s how to find IMEI on iPhone when locked:
- Search for the official box of your iPhone/iPad.
- Find the side of the box with Bars.
- All important details, Serial Number, and IMEI number on iPhone/iPad will be listed there.
2. By Using the SIM Tray
If you cannot find your iPhone’s box, you can look up the IMEI by using the SIM tray as well. This method will work on iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 6S Plus, and other later versions.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Remove your iPhone’s pouch (if any).
- Take the SIM tray out.
- Check the upper side of the SIM tray. There will be a small text there.
- This is your iPhone’s IMEI number.
- If you own an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, or 4S, you will find the Serial Number on the SIM tray as well.
3. On the Back of the iPhone/iPad
In case you have iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, iPhone SE (First Gen), you can find the IMEI number on iPhone’s back. Similarly, the Serial Number or IMEI of your iPad can be found by looking at its back.
Follow the steps mentioned below to find out the IMEI:
- Look at the backside of the iPhone/iPad. There will be some text on the lower side.
- Search for the “IMEI” heading.
- The number following it is your IMEI number.
4. By using iTunes
If you own a Windows PC or Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier versions, you can simply use iTunes to find the IMEI of your locked device – here’s how:
- Connect your device to the computer.
- Open “iTunes” on your PC.
- If you want to find the IMEI of the locked iPhone, click on your iPhone’s phone number in the summary tab.
- It will display your phone’s IMEI number and other details as well.
- If you have a locked iPad, click on its serial number.
- You will find your iPad’s IMEI and other details there.
5. By Using the Finder
Mac users with macOS Catalina 10.15 or its later versions can find the IMEI number on iPhone or iPad (if locked) iPhone with the help of “Finder” as well. Follow these steps:
- Connect the locked iPhone/iPad to your PC.
- Open “Finder” on your computer.
- If you’ve connected the locked iPhone, click on your phone number. You will get the IMEI with other details of your iPhone.
- If you have a locked iPad, click on its serial number. The IMEI and other details will be visible there.
6. By Using Apple ID
You can find the IMEI number on iPhone or iPad (locked) using your Apple ID too.
- Open your Browser.
- Go to applied.apple.com
- Enter the Apple ID that is being used on the locked device.
- Enter your credentials and then proceed.
- Go to the “Devices” section.
- Choose the device that is locked.
- The IMEI will be displayed there.
What is the IMEI number on iPhone?
Also known as International Mobile Equipment Identity, the IMEI number is a unique 15-digit number given to each mobile phone. You can think of the IMEI number as your phone’s fingerprint or a social security number.
It is convenient for enabling the tracking of the smartphone in case it is stolen or compromised. Although it won’t bring your phone back to you, your carrier can blacklist the device based on the IMEI number and ask other carriers to do the same.
However, you shouldn’t confuse the IMEI number with the serial number listed on the phone. While the serial number is only used internally, the IMEI number acts as a standard all over the industry.
Bad IMEI vs. Clean IMEI – What’s the Difference?
A mobile phone with a bad IMEI is one that you cannot activate on the carrier on which it was manufactured because of various reasons.
Some of these include the phone being reported lost, stolen, or previously used to perform any faulty transactions. The phone could be blacklisted as well if the initial owner didn’t clear their dues.
On the other hand, clean IMEI means that the phone is not reported stolen or blacklisted. This is what makes it eligible to be activated on a wireless network.
What is IMEI Used For?
The IMEI number comes in handy when buying a used phone. You can check whether the phone you intend to buy has been reported lost, subject to an insurance claim, or blacklisted.
Other than that, the IMEI number also reveals several other details about the phone, such as specifications, year of release, brand, and model. You can do this by visiting IMEI.info and typing in the IMEI number of your phone – it’s completely free!
FAQs About IMEI Locked iPhone
Before we conclude, let’s check out some frequently asked questions about the IMEI number on iPhone below.
Why is IMEI blocked?
IMEI gets blocked if it was previously reported lost or stolen. Apart from this, it can also be blacklisted in case of pending payment of your phone’s carrier financing plans. You can check if your phone’s IMEI number is blocked or not by contacting the carrier or using any IMEI checker.
Does IMEI block actually work?
Yes, IMEI blocking is quite an effective strategy for protecting your phone from being used illegally. Although it doesn’t block the device, the thief cannot access it on any mobile network. As a result, they won’t be able to place or receive a call or use data.
What happens when an IMEI is blacklisted?
When the IMEI is blacklisted, it means that the device was reported stolen, lost, or there is some pending payment. So, the carrier may block the services, or in the worst-case scenario, the authorities may seize the phone from the person using it.
So, that’s it! You are now an expert in finding the IMEI number on iPhone and iPad. If you found this post helpful, be sure to share it with people who need it.
Also, if you still have anything else to ask about finding the IMEI number on iPhone, don’t hesitate to ask us in the comments section below. We’ll try to get back ASAP.
Other Suggested Articles: