Laptop721 is supported by readers like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
Did you just find out that you can use your laptop screen as a secondary screen and now want to use it? In this guide, we have listed the 2 easiest methods with the steps. Follow them to use your laptop as a monitor!
It surely isn’t an easy process, but we’ve tried to keep them as short & simple as possible. If you are not a technical person, there isn’t anything to be worried about. Besides, It does not require any technical knowledge from you. Just a simple basic idea about the system you own would be perfect.
You may be thinking of connecting your PC with your laptop using an HDMI cable then that isn’t an appropriate way. As it will ONLY cast your PC’s screen on the laptop but won’t work as a video input for another device.
- How Do I Use Laptop As A Monitor?
- Benefits of Using a Secondary Screen
- The Verdict
How Do I Use Laptop As A Monitor?
There are multiple ways in which you can carry out the setup. Either you can use some built-in functions by Windows or you can use some 3rd party software available on the Internet. Let’s get down to the steps a.
Method 1: Using Miracast [For Windows Operating System]
Miracast is a built-in application that comes with the latest versions of the Microsoft Windows OS. But you need to set it up before you can use it to connect the laptop as a Monitor.
Follow the steps on the laptop that needs to be used as a Monitor
1. Go to Start Menu and click on Settings
2. Now press on the “System Icon“
3. Look for “Projecting to this PC” on the left menu option and click on it.
4. To allow other objects to project on it, change the first drop-down menu to Available Everywhere
5. Make other necessary changes required.
This is pretty much everything you need to set up on your laptop to make it compatible to use a secondary monitor. Now let’s get down to the settings for the computer that it needs to connect.
Follow the steps on the Main PC that is being used as the main monitor
1. Open Task Bar, and click on Notifications icon,
2. Now select the “Connect” button visible on the Notifications windows.
3. Your Main PC will look for an available device to connect to the screen. As soon as your laptop name appears on the screen. select it.
4. To accept the connection request, look at your laptop and accept the request.
5. Right-click on the desktop of the PC and select the “Display Settings”.
6. In the Display menu, change the “Multiple Displays” section to “Extend desktop to this display”
7. You have now successfully set up your laptop as a secondary monitor.
Now, you can easily use the second monitor to view multiple documents at the same time. And also, perform multiple other actions as per your needs and requirements.
Method 2: Using a Third-Party Tool
If you are not satisfied with the service that Miracast provides, you can try out another third-party application available on the web that serves similar purposes. Here, we are using a very popular tool names Space Desk.
To run this particular software on the primary PC as well as the secondary monitor, the system needs to have certain requirements.
For Primary PC
- Windows 10 (version 1607 – later only), 8.1 & 7.
- Graphics adapter NVIDIA/AMD/Intel/Basic Display.
- WDDM 2.6/2.5/2.4/2.3/2.2/2.1/2.0/1.3/1.2/1.1
- DirectX 12/11/10/9
For Secondary Monitor
- Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7
- DirectX 10
- DirectX WARP (Min. 800 MHz CPU / Min. 512MB RAM)
To use Space Desk, now you need to download the application from the official website. For your laptop, download the Space Desk Viewer Software for Secondary Machine that will be used as a second monitor. You will be thrilled to know that this software is also available for iPhones and iPad users. And for the main PC, simply download the Space Desk Drive Software for Windows Primary PC.
Follow the steps on your main PC and Laptop as mentioned
1. Install the software on both the system and restart to finish the process.
2. Make sure both systems are connected to the same LAN or Wifi network.
3. Go to your Laptop and launch the application.
4. The system will automatically detect your Primary computer on the list.
5. Recognize your system and click on Connect.
6. You are now connected to your primary PC.
If by any chance your PC is not listed as soon as you open the application on your laptop. You can try out another process that does not require any internet connection.
1. Go to the link Space Desk HTML Viewer on your laptop.
2. You will be asked to type the IP Address of your primary computer.
3. To know the IP Address you can simply launch the application on your primary PC and the address is displayed there.
4. Copy the address and paste it on your laptop screen as asked and click on Connect.
5. Your laptop can now be used as a secondary monitor.
You can try out either of the two processes depending on your connection type. Both of them work perfectly well and are very easy.
Benefits of Using a Secondary Screen
As we have already understood and set up the process to make your laptop a second monitor. The only question arises as that why most users especially programmers have been doing this at their workplace those who work from home. Let’s look at the benefits it can give you if you are unsure of this setup.
1. Use of Multiple programs
The basic idea is to use multiple software in Adobe Creative Cloud or Microsoft Office, games, documents, spreadsheets, movie/video streaming, etc., at the same time. It looks visually stunning when you can easily drag the file from one system to another. Many people have a work schedule that involves working and researching on multiple topics together.
For example, a content writer needs to switch between multiple Chrome tabs to research and write content concurrently. Also, if you need to watch a video and keep an eye on your mail simultaneously, this could come in handy at the same time. Also, many YouTubers, Gamers and Twitch streamers, etc., love this setup.
2. Increases Productivity
No matter what profession you are in or whatever position you are in a company. Having multiple screens will make your workflow faster and increase productivity likewise. An individual working as a freelancer may benefit a lot from this without a doubt. A proper setup in the office with the best system can do the job. Moreover, using some third-party applications you can even connect your smartphones or tablets as well.
3. For Digital Marketers
Well, dual screens have brought a huge benefit to marketers in the long run. Copying and sharing media files, posting updates, keeping track of the finance and other stats, etc., have all been made easier. It even benefits sharing data across multiple platforms with just a single drag and drop, and that can be done easily. Multi-tasking has been made easier now, and there is no doubt about it.
Apart from the benefits mentioned above, there are tons of other advantages as well. But make sure you have a compatible system that allows a good display on the secondary system.
You can also use multiple other KVM software or third-party applications on your laptop and primary PC to set up multiple monitors. Some of the very popular ones are the Input Director, ShareMouse, etc. All of these have the same purpose but a little different way to set up the system as needed.
Make sure you check your system requirements and then download these applications. Always allow Windows Firewall to check the virus on the system if by any chance they would have entered using this software.
Other informative articles: